Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Black taco

Show off your ride or recent upgrades. Post your pictures in here.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby socalmoto » Tue May 31, 2011 6:50 pm

3GTech wrote:Oh ok I didn't know that. So hopefully that sway bar comes in soon so you can get that thing out of there.

I was hoping the sway bar would be done a week ago, but hopefully this week ill be getting a call.

Still plenty of room for a larger bypass shock

Got a bumper together. Its pretty much just to protect the lower bedsides when backing up or for the old people that cruise around parking lots. The tire in there hangs out 4" so it still offers some cushion if he gets hit.

Also started arranging some stuff around in the storage box. It will have a full oil tray in between the batteries. Im also going to run quick connecting air fitting on the side of the box that can be plugged into from the outside so a pneumatic impact can be used quickly during a race.
Adrenaline can get you through any pain. Just watch out when the adrenaline stops.
socalmoto

Postby 3GTech » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:33 pm

Now by "full oil tray" do you mean something like a place to put extra quarts of oil? Also that bumper looks nice an appropriate for the truck. But I think that since the spare sticks out further than the bumper it defeats the purpose of having a rear bumper at all. I think I would of done the spare tire rack the same way but have the tires further towards the cab, however I understand that you are working with an already restricted space due to the fact that the bed area was pre-determined. Overall I approve of the way the truck is built and has some great potential.
The properly crossed thread will never come lose.
3GTech

Postby socalmoto » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:06 am

3GTech wrote:Now by "full oil tray" do you mean something like a place to put extra quarts of oil? Also that bumper looks nice an appropriate for the truck. But I think that since the spare sticks out further than the bumper it defeats the purpose of having a rear bumper at all. I think I would of done the spare tire rack the same way but have the tires further towards the cab, however I understand that you are working with an already restricted space due to the fact that the bed area was pre-determined. Overall I approve of the way the truck is built and has some great potential.

Yes by full oil tray i mean a tray to hold quarts of oil for the motor, trans, and diffs . . . maybe some coolant. The point of the rear bumper is only to protect the bedsides when the owner is driving it around on the street, not really for racing. He accidentally hit a marker pole backing up in the dark and it cracked the bottom corner of a bedside so he asked me to make a bumper to protect them at least a little. The spare tires hanging out further than the bumper is so that it acts like a bumpstop if someone hits him while racing or just rearends him on the street. Couple other trucks are like that too. Notice any similarities between the way the spares are held in on bjs and this truck?

Adrenaline can get you through any pain. Just watch out when the adrenaline stops.
socalmoto

Postby 3GTech » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:12 am

Ok that is what I thought you meant by oil tray but wasn't sure. The real meaning of the bumper is cool I can understand it now. And Now that I know why the spares stick out so much I like it, hehehe I'd do the same thing. Also notice how after you said that there are a couple other trucks built this way you have a pic of Mark Post's truck and then BJ's I just find it kinda funny. but yes Bj's spare and this taco's spares are held in almost identical.
3GTech

Postby socalmoto » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:47 pm

3GTech wrote:Ok that is what I thought you meant by oil tray but wasn't sure. The real meaning of the bumper is cool I can understand it now. And Now that I know why the spares stick out so much I like it, hehehe I'd do the same thing. Also notice how after you said that there are a couple other trucks built this way you have a pic of Mark Post's truck and then BJ's I just find it kinda funny. but yes Bj's spare and this taco's spares are held in almost identical.

Ya the owner wanted the spares setup like bjs (stacked tires with the lower tire with a strap and upper with a spinner). I didnt really notice it before but the rear of bjs and posts are almost identical too. I knew the tire layout was pretty close, but the skid pan and the way the lower tube is bent is exactly the same. I wonder if bj went with a spinner to look different . . . or maybe it was when he runs one spare (like for qualifying) it doesnt look goofy with a big hoop above a non existent upper tire.
socalmoto

Postby 3GTech » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Well I can there's no objections to that opinion. (FINN: I don't like either Baldwin bros cus there dicks in my eyes.)
3GTech

Postby socalmoto » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:32 pm

Been a while, but heres some cell pics. Ended up taking 7 months to get the sway bar arms and the truck sat for about half a year. Ordered up some other stuff while it sat and just got the truck together and running last week.

New front glass, led bar, and bumper.

Fuel lines are all black now

Everythings all ziptied up. Blue hose is fuel hose thats covering the plastic air locker line

The allusive sway bar.

Single piece driveshaft. 3.5" tube, 1350 rear joint, and 1310 up front. When the truck comes back it will have the engine pushed back about a foot so the driveline will be shortened.

A little hard to see the side plating in the pic, but a little more elaborate then the first set.

Interior was all stripped down and shot all black, minus the dash. The dash will be getting a few modifications next time its in then powder coated. I like the look of it already, but we have to fit a gps and maybe a couple other doo dads. Also made a co2 tank holder in the ext cab section, will take a pic later.

And the storage tank. Already wired for 2 optimas inside.
socalmoto

Postby McCredie A » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:21 pm

Looks nice!
McCredie A

Postby socalmoto » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:42 pm

Went testing earlier this week in california city and now matt has his truck back to go beat on. Hopefully he gets more pics of it in action because he just put some 35" grabbers on it.

You can see the rear is so drooped out while he was running through the whoops.

Best pic imo. He was doing a donut around me and this one came out pretty bitchin
socalmoto

Previous

Return to Show and Tell