Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Black taco

Show off your ride or recent upgrades. Post your pictures in here.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby socalmoto » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Thought id toss up the latest project ive got going on. Its been a while since ive had a nice build up of something. So it showed up and first thing was to chop it. It was funny cause when i unbolted the strap downs for the fuel cell it released pressure and about 4 gallons of water starting pouring out. It took about 20min for the cell to dump everything and i couldnt believe how much kept coming out.

With a nice currie FF 35 spline axle, we will be making a beefy driveshaft and ditch the stock tacoma double cardan joint so different link geometry is being used than on our race truck. I wanted to keep the upper links long to keep the IC more consistent which will result in better handling, but i had to make more room for the upper link so i raised the passenger side of the floor.

Before

After

He also wanted a sub box hold down in case of a crash while playing, it wont bounce around.

Next was to tack some mounts on to locate the links where i had designed them to go in solidworks. The trailing arms were a set i made and had in the shop for mockup. The newer ones that will be run on the truck are getting cut soon. They are they same design, but much more detailed side plates.

Next was to go up to full bump and start running tubes. He will have 5-6" of clearance at the lower link mount at full bump which results in 13.5" of uptravel. The rear tires are going to be setup like bj baldwins newest TT with a strapped in lower tire and spinner top tire.

I decided to cut the rear tube section i had made to put in a tube for the sway bar that will be on the truck (going through Cone Industries for the sway bar). The location will allow a 22-26" sway bar arm and will have multiple mounting locations for the heim to adjust the stiffness.

Started building a storage box that will have a front section to hold 2 optima batteries, a full fluids tray, and a 5lb powertank (oh ya the Currie has an ARB). The rear section will be open for tool bags and whatever else. The reason for enclosing everything is because it rains a lot in his area and mud can be very messy.

Today i pretty much finished up with the spinner lock down. I didnt want to make a mounting plate for the rim to sit on because they are hard to toss a tire up on top of and locate plus it would have been raised up which will get in the way of a cargo area if the top tire is removed. Im going to make large aluminum cargo tray that he can bolt down quickly in place of the top tire for more storage area. The spinner is two parts and it spins pretty easily and doesnt take much effort to get the sidewalls on the tire to smash down (and theyre 10ply sidewalls). I may toss in a delrin washer if painting the parts makes them harder to spin. Its a cone shape so the spinner helps to locate the wheel and holds it down tight. First spinner ive actually ever made, i usually just strap.

I got on the trailing arm frame mount today too. Its not finished yet as i am going to wrap the double plate edges to fill it in, then im going to add a bottom plate, and some gussets that will attach to the bottom of the frame rail. I should have finished pics of them tomorrow and start on the upper link mounts.

Adrenaline can get you through any pain. Just watch out when the adrenaline stops.
socalmoto

Postby ChaseTruck754 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:06 am

As always - looking good Steve! Post more as you go.
Have you flown in a ford lately?
Because lord know's it's been waaaay too long since I have!

bajablood wrote:Steve has balls.. I like balls.
ChaseTruck754

Postby 3GTech » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm

It looks real bro.
The properly crossed thread will never come lose.
3GTech

Postby socalmoto » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:21 pm

Well thanks guys. I got the trailing arm mount welded together and started on the other one. Maybe ill tack weld them on the frame early next week.

And the reason i didnt get the other lower welded together was that i got side tracked and built the upper link mounts on the axle. There will be some more gusseting along the front of the axle too, but ill wait till i fully weld these guys on.
Adrenaline can get you through any pain. Just watch out when the adrenaline stops.
socalmoto

Postby 3lnkdchev » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:52 am

Looking good man.... finish my steering? haha jk... this thing going to be up there in May when I pick up my kit, would like to check it out.
3lnkdchev

Postby socalmoto » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:07 pm

3lnkdchev wrote:Looking good man.... finish my steering? haha jk... this thing going to be up there in May when I pick up my kit, would like to check it out.

Yep the truck should be here. On top of the 4 link and backhalf, im rebuilding/replacing a lot of other parts on the truck. Like cvs, all the shock seals+oil+shafts, front gears, bearings, etc.

And hey!! I got a bead roller and started rolling. The little HF bead roller works pretty damn well after you strengthen it up and do some little things here and there. It was way quicker to buy the HF and modify it then it would have been to machine and build it from scratch

The side plating will be extended all the way forward to cover up the shocks, and all the aluminum paneling (and maybe the fuel cell and storage container) will be powder coated black to make it easier to spray down. Plus itll look way more badass!
socalmoto

Postby 3lnkdchev » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:02 pm

looking good man
3lnkdchev

Postby ChaseTruck754 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:58 am

socalmoto wrote:And hey!! I got a bead roller and started rolling. The little HF bead roller works pretty damn well after you strengthen it up and do some little things here and there. It was way quicker to buy the HF and modify it then it would have been to machine and build it from scratch

Bead rollers are sweet - huh!
I've got a question as to what the other "little things here and there" you did to the HF one? I've got a Pexto roller that is cool but it only has a 7" throat so I've been thinking about grabbing a HF roller as well. I've read up and saved pics on how people brace them/rigidify them, but what else did you do to yours?

ChaseTruck754

Postby socalmoto » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:39 pm

ChaseTruck754 wrote:
socalmoto wrote:And hey!! I got a bead roller and started rolling. The little HF bead roller works pretty damn well after you strengthen it up and do some little things here and there. It was way quicker to buy the HF and modify it then it would have been to machine and build it from scratch

Bead rollers are sweet - huh!
I've got a question as to what the other "little things here and there" you did to the HF one? I've got a Pexto roller that is cool but it only has a 7" throat so I've been thinking about grabbing a HF roller as well. I've read up and saved pics on how people brace them/rigidify them, but what else did you do to yours?

The main thing was to strengthen the main body. The main body is so thin (maybe 3/8") that when you try to roll the bead the dies move laterally away from each other. I can snap some pics tomorrow, but i used some 1.5 x 3 x 0.120 rectangular tubing and just welded it to the backside. Same kinda idea everyone else does.

Next thing was the bolt that pushes down on the dies. Its super cheap and stripped after only 4-5 times of use with me. I had the right size bolt from my ranger so its grade 10.9 or whatever and i havent had any issue with it yet.

The other problem is that the set screws suck. I stripped out 3 just trying to keep the dies from walking off the shaft. I tightened the crap out of them to make them stay and then they stripped when i tried to pull them out. Same thing happened with one of the gears, it kept coming off and the gears help to make sure the dies are aligned so if they start to come off, your bead can get screwed up. I marked where all the set screws were on the shaft and drilled a little into the shaft to give the set screws something to set into so i didnt have to tighten them as much to get them to stay. All the dies should have the set screws in the same place so i drilled 2 spots on either shaft for the die (so i can put the die on forward or backwards).

The next thing that i havent done yet, but will be nice is to put in a return spring on the upper shaft bearing so that when i undo the bolt tension, the dies separate on their own and i dont have to pull up on it to get the sheet out. And one last thing that id like to do is either put on a wheel or make the handle 2 sided. Right now when the handle is back and i have to keep turning it, i have to move my head away from the dies and so i cant see if the bead is still running straight. I did make a little guard to run the sheet against, but when it comes to turns, or im rolling an odd shape through, i have to move VERY slowly to make sure its going straight.

And now a little more on the truck. Finally tacked the lower mounts onto the frame. I was able to cut one edge of the doubler plate that the rollcage is welded too and i will weld it all up so it should be very strong.

Also made the link mounts for the axle.

Ive got to pick up some more steel tomorrow and then i can get working on the shock mounts.
socalmoto

Postby ChaseTruck754 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:38 am

All those "mods" to the beader make perfect sense - thanks for listing them. Saving that info for when I get around to buying one. The "wheel" on the end of the thing vs. a handle is one mod that everybody says makes the thing so much better.

I know with my pexto it's a 2 person job to bead the 1/8" steel I was using on the floor and firewall of the ranger. 1 guy holds the piece being beaded and guides it straight while the other guy turns the thing. Not super efficient but it works.

On the other hand - tacoma is looking good!

ChaseTruck754

Postby socalmoto » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Some more work
socalmoto

Postby 3GTech » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:55 am

That's the cleanest shock bucket I've seen for a truck in a long time.
3GTech

Postby socalmoto » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:21 am

3GTech wrote:That's the cleanest shock bucket I've seen for a truck in a long time.

Well thanks! I think its going to look way nicer once all the welds are on it and we can see the outline of the doubler plate more.
socalmoto

Postby 3GTech » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:16 am

I agree 100% with that.
3GTech

Postby ErikIrvine » Sun Apr 17, 2011 6:14 pm

Wow great work, thanks for the detailed pictures and updates too, gives us all motivation :)
ErikIrvine
Odds say 13:5

Next

Return to Show and Tell