Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Project Chevy Build

Show off your ride or recent upgrades. Post your pictures in here.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby Ryan_P » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Posting these due to forum errors, post had to be deleted!

Updates
Notorious BIG said it best, either you're slanging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot. Nobody wants to work for it anymore.
Ryan_P
:: Site Admin ::

Postby Ryan_P » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:27 pm

More!
Notorious BIG said it best, either you're slanging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot. Nobody wants to work for it anymore.
Ryan_P

Postby BlackStar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:35 pm

freaken sick
other site allises captin crash
BlackStar

Postby 02LTSILVEY » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:02 pm

how does the gate shifter work with the 4l60e? do you lose the tow/ haul ass button? i wanna do the swap but i have my computer tuned so the tow haul button shifts at way higher rpm's.
Fugitive built and Government backed
02LTSILVEY

Postby 3lnkdchev » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:56 pm

i'd imagine you'd have to run a seperate button for the tow/haul button somewhere else.... maybe someone else has a better answer...

the truck looks awesome!!
3lnkdchev

Postby LiL AK » Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:33 pm

yeah if you want it you have to relocate it i believe....but why would you want to tow something with a LT/linked truck...youd be allll over the place, not to mentiong riding on the bump stops.

-AK
Stupid people should be struck by lighting
LiL AK

Postby 02LTSILVEY » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:49 pm

LiL AK wrote:yeah if you want it you have to relocate it i believe....but why would you want to tow something with a LT/linked truck...youd be allll over the place, not to mentiong riding on the bump stops.

-AK

i tuned my truck so that anytime tow/haul is engaged the shift points are way more aggressive. for example, my regular 1-2 shift point at WOT is 5800 rpm. now with tow/haul engaged the same 1-2 shift at WOT is 6300 rpm. i dont tow anything with my truck.
02LTSILVEY

Postby Johnny D » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:30 pm

02LTSILVEY wrote:
LiL AK wrote:yeah if you want it you have to relocate it i believe....but why would you want to tow something with a LT/linked truck...youd be allll over the place, not to mentiong riding on the bump stops.

-AK

i tuned my truck so that anytime tow/haul is engaged the shift points are way more aggressive. for example, my regular 1-2 shift point at WOT is 5800 rpm. now with tow/haul engaged the same 1-2 shift at WOT is 6300 rpm. i dont tow anything with my truck.

What he said. The shift points are different, and I believe it boosts the line pressure in your tranny to make your shifts more firm and prevent slipping. It's a good idea to offroad with your tow/haul mode activated and to travel to and from the desert with it off.

edit: also, the tow/haul function is there to give you an aggressive tranny when towing (or hotrodding) and fuel efficient shifting when not. You don't want to just bypass the switch and leave the tow/haul on all the time because I believe it will prematurely wear out the tranny during normal driving conditions..... if the truck was trailered to and from the desert and never driven as a daily driver, then there would be no reason to ever turn it off.
01 Dodge Ram 4x4 Cummins - tow vehicle
77 GMC Sierra shortbed reg cab w/ a 454 - LT Project
Johnny D

Postby LiL AK » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:03 pm

I thought the tow haul button kept the tranny from shifting into overdrive. Most trucks ive drove/rode in with that feature is all i noticed..but maybe its because i have a lead foot and make that bitch shift when i want it to. programming your shift points is what the chip is for, not the tow/haul button. the truck will still shift at lower RPMs when not hard on the gas with or with out the button engaged.

p.s. Johnny i like your sig. "77 GMC Sierra shortbed reg cab w/ a 454 - LT Project" oh yeah hows that coming along...lol

Hope everything is going good!

-AK
Stupid people should be struck by lighting
LiL AK

Postby Ryan_P » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:11 pm

Tow/Haul mode raises shift points and makes the pedal, gas and brake, more sensitive.
Ryan_P

Postby Johnny D » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:16 am

LiL AK wrote:p.s. Johnny i like your sig. "77 GMC Sierra shortbed reg cab w/ a 454 - LT Project" oh yeah hows that coming along...lol

Hope everything is going good!

-AK

It'll happen one of these days.... I have nothing else to do with the truck now, because of the new smog laws. I would have to completely choke the motor down (replace cam, intake manifold, carb...etc.) to get it to pass. That would pretty much defeat the purpose of having a hotrod. Plus even if I did restore the truck to a street rod... what would be the point? I would never drive it. I'm going to take my time and build everything myself. I'm going to slide the motor back and center mount the front and link the rear. Now I just have to save some money up for it.... plus buy a new welder. I'd go into more detail, but I don't want to derail dustin's thread again. When I start the project and can provide pictures... I'll start a new thread
Johnny D

Postby Johnny D » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:39 am

This quote was taken from an article on 1999 GMC Sierra and Chevy Silverado trucks.

"Transmissions have been beefed up for longer life and durability. Automatics have a larger sump oilpan, increased fluid volumes and heftier torque converters. Depending on the engine, Silverados and Sierras are available with either light or heavy duty five-speed manual transmissions, though most buyers opt for either the 4L60-E or 4L80-E automatic transmission. The latter feature a Tow / Haul mode which allows the driver to switch with the touch of a button to a more aggressive shift pattern for trailering and heavy hauling. This results in firmer shifts and lengthened time between shifts, for improved stop-and-go drivability and fewer shifts in hilly terrain."

Hope that helps
Johnny D

Postby 02LTSILVEY » Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:28 am

i know what the tow/haul button is, i was just wondering if guys relocated or what. i didnt want to jack the thread so i just didnt say anything else about the switch. anyways, i only hope my truck ends up looking as nice as this sierra here.
02LTSILVEY

Postby TaylorRacing » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:18 pm

TaylorRacing

Previous

Return to Show and Tell