Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Class 7 01 Tacoma Build

Show off your ride or recent upgrades. Post your pictures in here.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby mxrider » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:14 am

Congrats on the fire up! How did your buddy know what parts of the harness he could cut out? Did you guys cut one or two wires at a time and then fire the motor to check if it affected anything unintentional :D . I assume you guys found a full wiring diagram.
mxrider

Postby socalmoto » Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:41 pm

mxrider wrote:Congrats on the fire up! How did your buddy know what parts of the harness he could cut out? Did you guys cut one or two wires at a time and then fire the motor to check if it affected anything unintentional :D . I assume you guys found a full wiring diagram.

Naw he just went for it and ripped off everything that wasnt connected to something. Though he did cut some important wires like 2 alternator wires, 2 obd2 wires, and the shift lock wires but it was SO much easier to check the wires and fix the problems than if all that junk was still in there.

Anywho i JUST drove the truck. Shift points are bad right now and the electric gas pedal sucks right now. Im sure if we drive it more the computer will learn and make better decisions, but right now the throttle sometimes just doesnt do anything. I went to cross the street and mashed the pedal and nothing happened. The engine didnt change rpm or make any different noises, just coasted through the street. Then when i was just about to the other side the engine screamed to life and i took off for a little bit and the throttle felt fine and was very responsive . . . it probably scared the shit out of the neighbor at the end of the street. I went for a higher speed run and the shifting between 1st and 2nd was great (right about red line), but 3rd jumped almost to 4th immediately and 4th held to about red line before shifting to 5th (or maybe the problem was 4th to 5th and i hit the lockout?). When the things are working good, this thing hauls pretty good ass. Although it might be the no windshield and how much louder the engine is. Brakes also suck right now, it doesnt seem like theyre all the way bled, so ill have to tinker with that. I still dont know if its going to the des yet so well see
Adrenaline can get you through any pain. Just watch out when the adrenaline stops.
socalmoto

Postby socalmoto » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:58 pm

Just drove it a few dozen more times and everything feels good now. It shifts right at red line in every gear and this truck does haul ass now!! Im not even having to use full throttle and it goes fast. The trans really likes to downshift and make the engine scream. I can be cruising at 70ish (guessing cause i didnt have gps or speedo) and as soon as I press the throttle pedal even a little it downshifts and screams. Im sure ive pissed off everyone within half a mile.
Adrenaline can get you through any pain. Just watch out when the adrenaline stops.
socalmoto

Postby socalmoto » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Well i think were good to go. Were loaded up and ready to head out. Ill try to get some pics and stuff when out there
socalmoto

Postby socalmoto » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Well we did pretty good out there. We are having some issues with what seems to be fuel cutout. We changed one of the fuel filters and it didnt make a difference so well change out the toyota one under the cab next. The truck did amazing compared to last time mostly because of the bumper being brought back so far. Areas we would go 10mph and scrape we can now gas it through around 30mph without scraping. Still hits the bumpstops extremely hard, but were talking about big bumps here. The rear also bucked sometimes so some more valving work is needed. Power didnt seem much different than the supercharged 3.4, but the acceleration is quite a bit faster cause of how quick the auto can shift. And the trans does like to hold the gear till red line so thats great. The trans does get into trouble sometimes and cant decide on a gear which could be something to do with the fuel cutout. All in all the truck is doing great. We just need to finish up a bunch of small things that didnt get done and prep it for the next race which im REALLY hoping there will be. Heres some vids

This was whoops about 3+ ft deep. Doing about 35mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgpalUNn2OE

Heres some 2ft whoops going about 60mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F3PihKNRkg

Little bit smaller maybe 1-1.5 ft downhill going 87mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFdeuWvKSSc

And the dry lake bed. I only got it up to 92.5 i think in the vid and milton got it up to 93mph next run but my camera skills suck compared to his
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvkp6Tvo1E4
socalmoto

Postby socalmoto » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:14 pm

So heres the pics of wiring

Starting

Waste

And final wiring harness in the cab. Much easier to deal with now
socalmoto

Postby ChaseTruck754 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:41 pm

Nicely done!
Have you flown in a ford lately?
Because lord know's it's been waaaay too long since I have!

bajablood wrote:Steve has balls.. I like balls.
ChaseTruck754

Postby socalmoto » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:21 pm

socalmoto

Postby socalmoto » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:29 pm

We also finally weighed the truck. 2200 front tires and 1900 rear. Thats with me in it, ready to race minus gas. So most likely on the line with codriver we'll be 2275 front and 2200 rear. Total of 4475 with approx 320 hp.
socalmoto

Postby 85yota » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:12 pm

Looking good. but you gained 100hp over stock how???
85 toyota extra cab, 22r, 4 over arms, SAW coilovers front, SAW's out back, extended shackles, racing seats, 32x11.50's. etc...
85yota

Postby socalmoto » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 pm

85yota wrote:Looking good. but you gained 100hp over stock how???

Ya my bad. I read somewhere it made 285hp but thats the 1gr with dual vvt-i thats coming out on the new tacomas so not ours. Guess i shoulda read a little closer, stock were only at 240ish so maybe were around 260-270 now.
socalmoto

Postby mxrider » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:56 pm

Hey Steve,

Anything new with the truck? Still keeping busy designing and building? Did you ever get a website up for your business?

Hopefully I don't forget I posted this, its rare I find time to browse the forums much anymore.
mxrider

Postby socalmoto » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:59 am

Not much has been happening with the truck. Weve taken it out to the dunes a couple times but the owner went to taiwan for a month or so and ive been too busy working. Things are going pretty good at the shop but im going to try to get more into bolt in kits so i can bench weld more and relax some haha.

We did have a breakthrough with the taco just last sunday though. Ive been talking with friends that are toyota techs and one suggested that since 4th and 5th gear have the lockup feature and we only seem to have engine bog every 10seconds when we are in 4th or 5th on the shifter, the trans could be trying to lockup (since we dont have speed sensors the ecu is blind). So i pulled the wire to in the trans plug that ran the solenoid for the lockup and its seems like its fixed. We could drive it in 4th or 5th without any of the old problems. The trans still has a hard time shifting in the sand by itself, but i think thats with all autos in sand. We are going to try to rebuild all the shocks, revalve the rear, switch in the ITP modified valve body, and try to make a desert run sometime soon-ish.
socalmoto

Postby mxrider » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Glad to hear you are keeping busy, I can imagine alot of fab shops couldn't say the same. Any current plans for your own website? I'm with you on the bench welding, its alot of grunt work position welding. Find a nice rolling office chair put on some tunes and always try to better your last weld. Speaking of welding, just this weekend I pulled out my TIG machine for the first time in what seems like years! I didn't realize it had been so long until I noticed all the dust on the machine.

Regarding the lock up, do you have plans to wire in a switch to engage and disengage the solenoid? I would expect the lock up would save alot of power and keep the trans temp down on dry lake beds and graded roads. I'm interested to hear how much the valve body work will effect the shift feel. The shop that rebuilt my tundra trans told me they increased the line pressure but I expected alot firmer shift the first time driving it.
mxrider

Postby socalmoto » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:42 pm

mxrider wrote:Any current plans for your own website?

Well im currently building a cab and engine cage for a buddy severely discounted so hell help me with getting some street bike parts and maybe help make a website. He seems like he on top of it with websites and is starting his own website building/design company so things should work out. The amount of money hes going to be making while creating these company websites make me think im in the wrong business.

mxrider wrote:Regarding the lock up, do you have plans to wire in a switch to engage and disengage the solenoid? I would expect the lock up would save alot of power and keep the trans temp down on dry lake beds and graded roads. I'm interested to hear how much the valve body work will effect the shift feel. The shop that rebuilt my tundra trans told me they increased the line pressure but I expected alot firmer shift the first time driving it.

Someone else suggested that and im not sure i want the lockup. It probably will help save 5-10% mpg while cruising in the des, but probably more through dry lake beds (though i havent raced through many of them). I was thinking that if we did use it when we were cruising and hit a hidden rock, it could do a lot of damage. We could save ourself any chance of damaging parts by just getting a little worse gas mileage. With our trans cooler i doubt we will really have any issues. Id like to hear what party barge has to say about running a lock up

Im also hoping the valve body does better. Its supposed to be a quick gear change valve body. So shifts that the stock trans does in about 1 sec to make it cushy, it should now just slam into the next gear. He said it didnt really hold any better, just shifts MUCH faster.
socalmoto

PreviousNext

Return to Show and Tell