Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

bling bling everytime i buy a new ride bling bling

Post VW tech, projects, and questions here. If you've got a beam and an air-cooled engine, this is your place to post.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby bajablood » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Ouch Jake. This would be one thing Eric Dgaf's too much with.
bajablood

Postby ray promer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:20 pm

CentralWAbaja wrote:Lap 5?
X's 2
ray promer

Postby PahlM » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:12 pm

KM2's are awesome! But I blame the driver haha! Let's hear lap 5.

So you both make me miss racing and not at the same time. The issues on the race track are memorable but they suck when you are racing. However racing is racing and hearing how pumped you both were and all that is awesome. I raced last year in trucks but honestly beam cars are so cool!
bajablood wrote:I was officially burnt out on desert racing for 10 hours. The bug is starting to bite again!
PahlM

Postby bajablood » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:10 pm

Alright so I leave the official in the dust on lap 5. Like I'm stopping for anyone. Unless they want to give me a 5th of my money back. I still wouldn't have stopped. So I was off. What were they gonna do catch me hahahah! I leave the SF like a bat out of hell and start to realize I could have had the damn thing floored through the fast stuff leading down to the super rough wash fom the start of the race. I'm slamming into the 2 track berms with 4th pinned on 2 wheels through the entire turns it was awesome. Launch into the rough stuff and start to calm down again unavoidable rocks and I'm a bitch to their potential. get through it again pick up the pace heading out of the wash make the silty right to head back up the wash to the rally track hills and the cars coughs and dies. Crap the carb float sticks. I grab my tolls from behind the seat and go to work. First thing I check is if I'm out of gas. Pull the fuel line turn on the pump and $10 shoots out. Ok got gas. put it back on and turn on the pump and start tapping the carb all over like I learned to do a week before when the same thing happened. I finally heard the fuel fill the bowl so I hit the button and bam fired right up. Put my tools back, get my helmet back on, pumper blah blah blah. Maybe lost 10 minutes. i take off and immediately start to think did I tighten down the hose clamp? Couldnt remember so i stop again to check cuz that could really suck last lap and I burn to the ground. Go back to check and It was tight so i Hop back in and go. Fly upand down through the hill across pit b and c and start to feel a little dehydrated and that I'm not processing thing the way i was, hitting a few sections different, slowing down basically not concentrating. I get to pit d get some water slam all of it and go again. crash through the ridge section, fly down the gas line hill, again through the mdr track god I wish someone could have videod that part it felt amazing behind the wheel. Flew up the hill again into main and crossed the finish line with my pit, family, co driver and chase to meet me. It was awesome.

I got this car on a wim, did a bunch of little things to it, learned how to drive it, and now I completed the original goal which was to race it. The finish was the icing on the cake and I could not have done it nor did I do it alone. Looking forward to the next race and the hammocks first time on the podium with me behind the wheel.

Lessons learned this race.
1. I can go faster through rocks
2. eric can't
3. if theres an oil leak that seems iffy do what ever it takes to fix it before the race.
4. Get the best rockershafts money can buy. haha!
5. have a camel pack for staying hydrated in the car. Stopping for water = you're a gay.
6. If you really want to be fast on a track one lap in a pre runner will not reveal where you can really press your luck and where you can't
7. Get your car prepped and ready before you decide to do the race. Prepping last minutes sucks for you wife and kids and it's not fair to them that you have to ignore them for 2 weeks prior. I still have not mastered this except when I dont prep my car and decide to enter a race 5 days before. Which happens.
8 do something nice for them after the race for putting them through all of the shit that goes along with it.
9. have eric drive your car because he hauls ass, kicks ass in repairs, and makes bad ass videos. We're still working on the downloads
bajablood

Postby ErikIrvine » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:49 am

Haha, your posts are so funny dude
ErikIrvine
Odds say 13:5

Postby CentralWAbaja » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 am

Good stuff. Thanks for the write up. I love to read these stories
CentralWAbaja

Postby ErikIrvine » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:18 am

ErikIrvine
Odds say 13:5

Postby 3GTech » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:50 am

That's some good video making.
The properly crossed thread will never come lose.
3GTech

Previous

Return to Buggies and VWs