Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

wheels

Post VW tech, projects, and questions here. If you've got a beam and an air-cooled engine, this is your place to post.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby bigred » Mon May 06, 2013 5:57 pm

i have a set of 15x7 BTR non-bead locks for sale, PM for details.
-Brandon
bigred

Postby ACME » Wed May 08, 2013 1:32 pm

1) Kev: Sold it last year, Kevin and I were both too busy to dedicate the time it needed to grow so we decided to let it go. FYI The wife and I are racing Big Red at the 500 if your interested in going to Mehico? Smitty's going...

2) Jesse Jones wheels were forged, Robby's were originally forged but don't know now (doubt it as I believe they are made in China).

3) Cast will work well just remember don't run on a flat!!! Also not all the offsets are identicle so once you settle on a brand if you want to switch wheel mfr's may not match 100%... side rant: Choose suppliers wisely not because they are the flavor of the week. Just because a company sponsors a bunch of TT guys and is a pimp on a web-site doesn't make their product all roses and unicorns. Politics are huge in this biz and what is marketed might not necessarily by the best, just cool because it's part of the in-crowd. I can tell you I know one company that fits this convo this is true of... just sayin'
ACME

Postby Fourstroker » Wed May 08, 2013 3:42 pm

ACME wrote:1) Kev: Sold it last year, Kevin and I were both too busy to dedicate the time it needed to grow so we decided to let it go. FYI The wife and I are racing Big Red at the 500 if your interested in going to Mehico? Smitty's going...

2) Jesse Jones wheels were forged, Robby's were originally forged but don't know now (doubt it as I believe they are made in China).

3) Cast will work well just remember don't run on a flat!!! Also not all the offsets are identicle so once you settle on a brand if you want to switch wheel mfr's may not match 100%... side rant: Choose suppliers wisely not because they are the flavor of the week. Just because a company sponsors a bunch of TT guys and is a pimp on a web-site doesn't make their product all roses and unicorns. Politics are huge in this biz and what is marketed might not necessarily by the best, just cool because it's part of the in-crowd. I can tell you I know one company that fits this convo this is true of... just sayin'

1. Interesting. I will check my calendar......unfortunately the work one!

2. I thought Walkers were forged as well but could be wrong

3. What's the method behind your thinking Jefe? For what its worth Ive had good luck with the few I have owned.
Kevin Martin
Bald Eagle Racing #1297/1197
Fourstroker

Postby ACME » Fri May 10, 2013 8:44 am

1.a) Check it, were seemingly good but you can always use a hand in Baja! Besides what's more fun work or Baja????

2.b) My bad, left them out and yes they were, don't know now but they are good wheels.

3.c) No method behind my madness. I just think when quality takes a back seat to baller status and people are given certain
freedoms or a free passes becasue they are in with the in crowd or can afford to give stuff away on other peoples dimes
to buy credibility rather than earn it; the playing field is not level. I just believe some wheels are BTR than others... and
trust me I've destroyed almost every brand wheel sans a Walker in my racing career, but then I've never raced on them..
ACME

Postby Fourstroker » Fri May 10, 2013 10:09 am

Fourstroker wrote:3. What's the METHOD behind your thinking Jefe? For what its worth Ive had good luck with the few I have owned.

Perhaps I should have made my quote a little more obvious. Also Jaime has treated us great from his KMC days and now with them.
Kevin Martin
Fourstroker

Postby ACME » Fri May 10, 2013 4:25 pm

Perhaps my response was not obvious enough...

"3.c) No method behind my madness. I just think when quality takes a back seat to baller status and people are given certain
freedoms or a free pass becasue they are in with the in crowd or can afford to give stuff away on other peoples dimes
to buy credibility rather than earn it; the playing field is not level. I just believe some wheels are BTR than others... and
trust me I've destroyed almost every brand wheel sans a Walker in my racing career, but then I've never raced on them..."

To each there own; Never reached baller status and had a wheel deal but then I've broke more than I've won... Agreed though; KMC's 15x4 wide 5 were awesome! PS didya catch that tricky play on words: BTR=Better-get it???

Think about Baja Kev; Taco's, Churro's, Cervezo's and Burro's :o
ACME

Postby Fourstroker » Mon May 13, 2013 10:51 am

ACME wrote:Think about Baja Kev; Taco's, Churro's, Cervezo's and Burro's :o

Checked it out and confirmed 2 things that I thought I already knew.

1. I love fresh tacos, churros, cervezas and burros in Mexico.

2. I will get 2 enjoy none of them this year at the 500.

The project I am on is shooting for Substantial Completion the week after the 500 and I will be involved with testing, etc the week before and after the race. Bumme for me but good luck to you guys.
Kevin Martin
Fourstroker

Postby prerunner1499 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:16 pm

Ive run nothing but centerline 4x16 wheels on the front of my Race-co and have NEVER had a front flat. I run 700-16 bias ply traction tires with the shoulders shaved off, tubed at 45# of air. Never broken an arm, never had a flat on those. two baja trips, and over 2500 Nevada race miles since 2000.
Ive had only 3 rear flats in the same time period on 5x15 centerlines with either a BFG mud terrain. or a Baja Belted Micky Thompson. I have taco'd exactly 1 wheel due to hitting a rock when it was flat just as I was getting off course to change it.

I just dont hit the rocks, and dont "back" the car into corners. Stop hetting rocks and you'll stop geting flats. Pump em up more 40+ to prevent pinch flats and tire roll aind sidewall punctures.
Nascar sucks!! Real drivers run Desert Racers!
Lead, Follow, or Nerf-em outa the way!
prerunner1499

Postby Fourstroker » Mon May 13, 2013 1:20 pm

prerunner1499 wrote:Ive run nothing but centerline 4x16 wheels on the front of my Race-co and have NEVER had a front flat. I run 700-16 bias ply traction tires with the shoulders shaved off, tubed at 45# of air. Never broken an arm, never had a flat on those. two baja trips, and over 2500 Nevada race miles since 2000.
Ive had only 3 rear flats in the same time period on 5x15 centerlines with either a BFG mud terrain. or a Baja Belted Micky Thompson. I have taco'd exactly 1 wheel due to hitting a rock when it was flat just as I was getting off course to change it.

I just dont hit the rocks, and dont "back" the car into corners. Stop hetting rocks and you'll stop geting flats. Pump em up more 40+ to prevent pinch flats and tire roll aind sidewall punctures.

In some classes these days if your not going fast over the rocks or slamming the car into berms through the corners your not going fast enough or will not be competitive. Hence the stronger rims that will allow you to do that. I try to avoid the rocks like the next guy but sometimes its go time and you gotta push it. Again my opinion and I have taco'd rims from many different makes/types.
Kevin Martin
Fourstroker

Postby ACME » Mon May 13, 2013 1:42 pm

Fourstroker wrote:

The project I am on is shooting for Substantial Completion the week after the 500 and I will be involved with testing, etc the week before and after the race. Bumme for me but good luck to you guys.

I just confirmed something I already knew:

1) I knew I had you a Burro!
B) You suck!
3) We'll have a Valle T taco for you!

Wish you could make it, 'substantial completion"??? sheesh, sounds like almost pregnant...

I agree with Kevin, the goal is to not hit them but it happens and I have always felt bent wheels were part of the game. In class 9 we ran 17 lbs in the rear and 15 up front trying to get a little more squish = travel so we considered bent wheels part of the game. Kind of like a friend of ours that wears roof's out all the time and considers them consumables... :?
ACME

Postby Fourstroker » Mon May 13, 2013 5:28 pm

ACME wrote:
Fourstroker wrote:

I just confirmed something I already knew:

1) I knew I had you a Burro!
B) You suck!
3) We'll have a Valle T taco for you!

Wish you could make it, 'substantial completion"??? sheesh, sounds like almost pregnant...

I agree with Kevin, the goal is to not hit them but it happens and I have always felt bent wheels were part of the game. In class 9 we ran 17 lbs in the rear and 15 up front trying to get a little more squish = travel so we considered bent wheels part of the game. Kind of like a friend of ours that wears roof's out all the time and considers them consumables... :?

Being "Almost pregnant" does suck but I have been growing this baby in my belly for over 3 years and have to see finish.

Almost pregnant = Facilities move-in but not ready for patients. I agree sounds kinda funny.

I know a guy that actually had his sheet metal guy make multiple roofs when he was having a replacement made for his 16 car.
Kevin Martin
Fourstroker

Previous

Return to Buggies and VWs