Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Erik's Class 12 Car

Post VW tech, projects, and questions here. If you've got a beam and an air-cooled engine, this is your place to post.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby ErikIrvine » Sun May 19, 2013 6:11 am

It seems every 5 years I rotate through a new desert car. for good or for bad....so here is the new one. I decided on it for a couple of reasons but the real reason was "When I grow up I want to be like Zac Reish!", let's just put it out there now, I am riding on his coat tails :) My goal is to stop upgrading so much and start racing more.

I don't have too much detail now here are some basics of the car. Don't have a date planned for it's first race, I have to wait for the power plant to start backup before I resume throwing hundred dollar bills out of a car going around in circles in the desert

Chassis: Lothringer
Weight: 1,750 lbs. Dry (no fuel, spares, or driver)
Wheelbase: 116 in., trackwidth Front 78 in., rear 82 in.
Tires: 33x10.50x15 shaved bajas rear, 16-7.50 Super Traxions front
Front Suspension: Fodrill 4 inch race arms top mount 1.5 in. shanks, with 3 in. Fodrill drop spindles, Pro-Am hubs, Fortin R&P, 14 in. Travel
Rear Suspension: Lothringer arms, Summers Brothers outboard hubs, 21 in. Travel, 22 deg max CV angle
Engine: Jimenez plenum 1776
Trans: Weddle 091. I guess Ron Weddle prepped this himself, the old owner swears by it
Interior: Mastercraft seat, Proam shifter, cutting brake, cup holder, leather, Power windows
Shocks: Double coilover front and rear. They have some custom welding on them. The old owner said they are a old school version of internal bypasses. I guess they drill holes in a 2.0 smoothie shock body where they want the bypass to occur, then weld a larger threaded shock body on, so there is a cavity inside for fluid to bypass. It's not adjustable, but I'll find out soon enough if the bypass part works based on it's maiden voyage

That's it for now!
ErikIrvine
Odds say 13:5

Postby ErikIrvine » Sun May 19, 2013 6:19 am

More pics
ErikIrvine

Postby ErikIrvine » Sun May 19, 2013 6:28 am

I am new to these High Comp VW engines, is there a certain race fuel I need to run, or does everybody have their own preference. I'll probably just run whatever Zac does so I can steal fuel from his pit when he's not looking.

Hey Zac, I am going to order graphics for it, should I get "Paramount" or "Mountain Material" to match your car??

I haven't talked to Jake yet, but he already gave me the stickers. I think we are working out a deal where he is my primary sponsor (pays entry, fuel, car prep costs etc), so I'll try to squeeze any other sponsors on there too
ErikIrvine

Postby ErikIrvine » Sun May 19, 2013 6:39 am

Hey Kev, who builds your engine? What type of frequency do you send it in? Jimenez told me the following (assuming 250 miles races): 250 miles - change oil, check valve clearance, 500 miles top end, 1,000 miles bottom and top end.

I was planning (unless you, Stu, Griffith, etc disagree):
250 race miles - change oil, check valves
750 race miles - top end, send trans in to see how hard I am on them
1,500 race miles - top & bottom end, trans rebuild (will adjust based on trans guy input)

A full MORE season is about 1,800 miles so that would be about two tranny rebuilds, two top ends, and one bottom end for a full season
ErikIrvine

Postby KC » Sun May 19, 2013 6:51 am

Its already the right color! I still love shocks off the top of the front arms. Congrats Erik!
KC

Postby Fourstroker » Sun May 19, 2013 10:17 am

ErikIrvine wrote:Hey Kev, who builds your engine? What type of frequency do you send it in? Jimenez told me the following (assuming 250 miles races): 250 miles - change oil, check valve clearance, 500 miles top end, 1,000 miles bottom and top end.

1,500 race miles - top & bottom end, trans rebuild (will adjust based on trans guy input)

A full MORE season is about 1,800 miles so that would be about two tranny rebuilds, two top ends, and one bottom end for a full season

We have used Beanie Boy out of VW Parts in HB for our motor for years. We usually do oil and valve adjustment every race and complete rebuild at 1000-1200 miles. Never did a mid run top end.

By the way ACME will have some good info on this car as well as he owned it before Jerry did.
Kevin Martin
Bald Eagle Racing #1297/1197
Fourstroker

Postby PahlM » Sun May 19, 2013 10:26 am

It came red? Fate! And you seem to like buying old school dual coil over cars eh?

Good stuff Erik. I'm moving to Rancho Bernardo this summer, I'll give you a hand if you ever need it.
bajablood wrote:I was officially burnt out on desert racing for 10 hours. The bug is starting to bite again!
PahlM

Postby ray promer » Sun May 19, 2013 11:21 am

Fourstroker wrote:
ErikIrvine wrote:Hey Kev, who builds your engine? What type of frequency do you send it in? Jimenez told me the following (assuming 250 miles races): 250 miles - change oil, check valve clearance, 500 miles top end, 1,000 miles bottom and top end.

We have used Beanie Boy out of VW Parts in HB for our motor for years. We usually do oil and valve adjustment every race and complete rebuild at 1000-1200 miles. Never did a mid run top end.

By the way ACME will have some good info on this car as well as he owned it before Jerry did.

beanie boy(Jeff) built my motor also. So rad that it's already red like Phal said must be fate.
ray promer

Postby bigred » Sun May 19, 2013 5:19 pm

What better way to test and feel the car then in a race... Like the 500 ... Next week haha
-Brandon
bigred

Postby Baja Stu » Sun May 19, 2013 5:25 pm

I'd say every 1,000-1,500 as well. I'm a fan of oil samples and leakdown tests. This will tell you what's happening in your engine.
Looks like a bad ass car. Can't wait to see it in person.
Cross threading is as tight as Loctite
Baja Stu

Postby bajablood » Sun May 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Congrats dude thanks for the kind words bud. Proud to have you on my coat tails. Hopefully I can find a ride on yours someay. Cars frieken awesome dude. Better than mine from what I can see. You're already having a ton of fun I know but you're about to have alot more. It wil be fun to see the difference between the plenum and my non plenum. Stu is a great guy to have in your corner. He's helped me so much it's almost like he feels sorry for me. Whatever it is I'm greatful. Be nice to that man.

Enjoy the next natural step dude. It's gonna be awesome to see you turn some serious heads and blow some 10 car doors off.
bajablood

Postby ErikIrvine » Mon May 20, 2013 7:31 am

I was telling Cole a story yesterday in the garage something like this "I can't wait to drive this thing....I really hope the engine is faster than Zac's.... I am tired of him blowing my doors of when we raced baja bugs...... If it is faster, I'll hunt him down, and flip him off as I pass him in a open, long straight away....would be the best day of my life!!"
ErikIrvine

Postby bajablood » Mon May 20, 2013 8:58 pm

Looking forward to your continual dissapointment. No matter what that will be another memorial moment in the dirt shack (my offroad memory bank).
bajablood

Postby ErikIrvine » Tue May 21, 2013 7:12 am

bajablood wrote:Looking forward to your continual dissapointment. No matter what that will be another memorial moment in the dirt shack (my offroad memory bank).

That's cute..."dirt shack"...did Bre come up with that when you guys were shopping at Bed Bath & Beyond or Kids R Us??? :D :D

I am sure it won't be as easy as I think.....you got some skillz Mr. Reish
ErikIrvine

Postby bajablood » Tue May 21, 2013 1:38 pm

Hahaha no but if she did it would have made it more tolerable than picking thd pink or purple car seat. I'd rather be in hell than there. It's like a guaranteed argument and questioning my devotion as a caring father. I thought those times were the reason for having a gay friend instead of an all man husband LOL. Breanna said she's had boyfriends who would go shopping with her unlike me. Come to think of it Erik always talks about the times Bre and him dated. Erik you must have been that gay boyfriend!!!
bajablood

Next

Return to Buggies and VWs