Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Short course Regional racing

Post VW tech, projects, and questions here. If you've got a beam and an air-cooled engine, this is your place to post.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby Slang » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:48 am

I wanted to start some short course topics. So here it is: I race Limited Buggy at the Regional in So-Cal #388. My car is apart and under a full prep to get ready for next season. Anyone doing the same? Anyone new going to be racing Limited buggy or any other class?
Slang

Postby 9rocky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Slang wrote:I wanted to start some short course topics. So here it is: I race Limited Buggy at the Regional in So-Cal #388. My car is apart and under a full prep to get ready for next season. Anyone doing the same? Anyone new going to be racing Limited buggy or any other class?

Steve, what are the entry fees like at the regionals? Also, do they run he super buggys there?
9rocky

Postby Slang » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:42 am

Regionals are $325 + $50 for Fri practice + Transponder rental $40?
I might go through 5 gallons of fuel in a weekend. Super buggy is one of the most action packed races with a good turn out. But more notable is the other desert classes: desert 1600 and open buggy which ranges from pre-runners to 1200 cars. If I had a desert car I would test it at the regionals, much safer than Barstow closed course safety crews $50 for Friday only.
Slang

Postby bajablood » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:42 pm

I could see a valid systems test in short course but suspension tuning. How could that be a good way to test for a desert race. Safer yes, as good? I don't think so.
bajablood

Postby Slang » Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:02 am

Your right not a complete replacement. If you watch the 1400 trucks at the short course, the trucks that work good in the desert work good in the short course. If your car can land smooth on a 40' tabletop and go through the rhythm sections you could hit 90% of the desert stuff. When I race my desert 9 car at the regionals I made no changes to the suspension. I also only test on a 1mile loop at Barstow, made changes and got the hell out of there. LOL
Slang

Return to Buggies and VWs