Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Front End Assembly Questions/Discussion

Post VW tech, projects, and questions here. If you've got a beam and an air-cooled engine, this is your place to post.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby Donkeyworx » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Ryan_P wrote:
New Arms altogether. That's all I can Say until I have tested them.

So... Any updates on the Arms you are testing?

:D
Donkeyworx

Postby ACME » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:11 am

The current arms last @1k miles and then replace them. That's pretty much the current deal in 16, 5 and 12, you should know Ryan, especially the way Andrew is always on it...

Silcock bought my buddies 12 and Rich spend $1000's trying a snout/roller bearing arm deal, still wasn't right... So far I like the shear idea over some of the fixes I've seen but IMO A Arms cure all the issues ;).We had Foddrill weld the inners of the arm and that I'm told really helps but the car is gone so Dave will see if it really holds up better.
ACME

Postby rusco » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 pm

They all break at the same place, but seems like everyone is "working on a solution". Anyone try to double shear? Seems like a removable "cap" with outer bearing might remove much of the stress. Saw this on a 5 car at Parker. Larger OD on arms would help out as well. With only one game in town, why would they attemp to fix the problem when we all shell out every 1k miles??? (How many miles on you rear arms?) Plan obsolescence=good for business.
rusco

Postby Ryan_P » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:24 am

FYI, I splurged for a set of Latest Concepts arms for my 12 car. They "should" solve all the issues with cracking. I will let you know after the 1000.

I just couldn't face spending a fortune every couple of races on cracking arms. I have boxes full at my shop.
Notorious BIG said it best, either you're slanging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot. Nobody wants to work for it anymore.
Ryan_P
:: Site Admin ::

Postby 5racer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:59 pm

Ryan_P wrote:FYI, I splurged for a set of Latest Concepts arms for my 12 car. They "should" solve all the issues with cracking. I will let you know after the 1000.

I just couldn't face spending a fortune every couple of races on cracking arms. I have boxes full at my shop.

want to get rid of the box full ,
5racer
Green Machine

Postby Fourstroker » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:02 pm

5racer wrote:
Ryan_P wrote:FYI, I splurged for a set of Latest Concepts arms for my 12 car. They "should" solve all the issues with cracking. I will let you know after the 1000.

I'd buy some as well
Kevin Martin
Bald Eagle Racing #1297/1197
Fourstroker

Postby Ryan_P » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:00 am

Fourstroker wrote:
5racer wrote:

I'd buy some as well

I might have some I can sell, some of them are trash but could be used as spares. I'll see what I have in the shop, it's a disaster after the 1000.
Notorious BIG said it best, either you're slanging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot. Nobody wants to work for it anymore.
Ryan_P

Postby rusco » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:56 pm

How did the new arms hold up??
rusco

Postby Ryan_P » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:04 am

rusco wrote:

How did the new arms hold up??

Not a single crack after +/- 700 miles, 250 miles being San Felipe. I will know more after Parker next month and just keep watching it.
Ryan_P

Postby Marland » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:24 pm

I don't know if anybody noticed but aj matin has the set up you guys have been talking about building.....
Marland

Postby Marland » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:02 pm

No link pins, double shear everything, super crazy truck rack with a 5" arm hanging foward for clearance. But kind of shitty welding job. He says he'll make it up for anybody if they want.

Marland

Postby rusco » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:46 am

What is the best technique to install brass link pin bushings w/o a press and w/o messing them up?? It's been a while. KK's came without them installed.
rusco

Postby Fourstroker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm

rusco wrote:What is the best technique to install brass link pin bushings w/o a press and w/o messing them up?? It's been a while. KK's came without them installed.

Use an old link pin to line it up. Then lightly tap the link pin instead of the bushing.
Kevin Martin
Bald Eagle Racing #1297/1197
Fourstroker

Postby rusco » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:33 pm

Thanks, helped to "freeze" the bushings too.
rusco

Previous

Return to Buggies and VWs