Desert Rides

Off-Road Discussion Forum

Project Baja

Post VW tech, projects, and questions here. If you've got a beam and an air-cooled engine, this is your place to post.

Moderators: Admin1, DR1068, 9rocky, Ryan_P

Postby Ryan_P » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:23 pm

Ok, this is a little more than long overdude. Many of you have heard me talking about my project and most don't have a clue whats going on, so i'll fill you in and show off some parts as of right now.

-Full tube chassis baja bug built by @ Baja Shop to 105''-110'' wheelbase

Front Suspension
-8'' over beam
-4'' wider Foddrill Arms with 1 3/4'' shank
-2.0 10'' Stroke King coil-carrier
-2.5 10'' stroke "Race Series" 2 tube bypass
- ***One Off Fodrill drop spindles, double sheared using 2'' Hallow Kartek Snouts***
- CNC hubs with 4 1.5'' piston CNC brakes

Rear Suspension
-Custom made arms for outboard hubs
-Summer Bros. floater hubs for 930's
-CNC 6 1.5'' piston brakes
-2.5 14'' King stroke dual-rate c/o
-3.0 16'' stroke "race series" 4-tube bypass

Interior
-Custom Beard Ultra Pro seats
-Custom aluminum dash
-6 carbon fiber AutoMeter guages(Speedo, Tach, Volts, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Fuel guage)
-Lowarance 3500C Color GPS
-Icom IC-208H Race Radio
-4 Link Pro Intercom System with two headsets AND wired for helmets
-Parker Pumpers

Powertrain
-2300cc stroker motor, custom built with Porsche fan shroud and single Weber 48 IDF carb. (last dynoed @ 170hp)
-Pro 091 bow with all chromo. hardened internals, garunteed for up to 300hp

Misc.
-Scao magnum 1 to 1 1/2 rack and pinion
-Power steering set-up(using Howe parts and a Charlyne control valve)
-Momo steering wheel with splined quick disconnect

*** Much more to come and may add some things along the way. My shocks ARE on order and will take some time to be made, got some secrets I am working on! ha

Any questions feel free to ask away and any suggestions are welcome, positive and/or negative.
Last edited by Ryan_P on Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Notorious BIG said it best, either you're slanging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot. Nobody wants to work for it anymore.
Ryan_P
:: Site Admin ::

Postby Ryan_P » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:24 pm

More goodies.... :D
Notorious BIG said it best, either you're slanging crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot. Nobody wants to work for it anymore.
Ryan_P

Postby Ryan_P » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:25 pm

And last for tonight....
Ryan_P

Postby bajadoug » Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:53 pm

sweet...
I Bent My Wookie!
bajadoug

Postby Krezer » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:18 pm

Jesus.... :o Sounds like your building the little brother of the Trophy Bug. I think the Trophy Bug would be jealous of your heated seats though :wink: . You have the makings for one helluva set up. After reading this I am not sure if it motivates me to keep saving for mine or discourages me because I have been working on mine for 2 years without much to show. I am not sure if I understood what you are doing for the rear. What are the specs going to be on the rear? Arm size? Who are they built by? Or is that still "classified". Please keep us update with lots of pictures. I want to see the chassis built by The Baja Shop. Thanks ~ Krezer
Useless posts since 2004
Krezer

Postby Boyesen » Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:20 am

WOW :o All I have to say is I can be up for adoption
Boyesen

Postby Ryan_P » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:17 am

Not sure on the arm size, they will be built to match the wheelbase I end up going with, which still is a long way away. Most likely be between 5-7'' longer and 5'' wider, who knows haha.

The chassis is also all 1 1/2'' chromo, using .120 wall for main tubes and .095 for others, with some 1'' .095 here and there for seat mounts and gussets, etc.

I will keep everybody updated on this longer process. I should be getting the car out of there in about 4 months, everything minus wiring and plumbing, which I am gonna shoot for a month to finish because how patient and slow I work, especially with wiring a complete car!
Ryan_P

Postby ErikIrvine » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:05 am

Well Ryan you really dug yourself in a hole :-). You said when you are expecting it to be done, 5 months. That means it will be done just in time for the night race, see you there ;-)

Car sounds like it's going to have all the right parts, except for that damn wheelbase! Keep us updated with those pics, it feels like I went on a shopping spree if I use my imagination.
ErikIrvine
Odds say 13:5

Postby Ryan_P » Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:59 am

Damn you Erik! haha I did dig myself a hole, it'll be a push to get it done, but I'll throw that out to the guys that I AM gonna run the race so they get off their A$$es and put my money to good use haha

So does running the night race mean I gotta get a couple HID's? Damn :wink: "DAAAAAAAD" hahahaha

What's wrong with the wheel base? Are you switching classes, 13 to 5?
Ryan_P

Postby ErikIrvine » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:42 am

Ah, well 5 is always an option. We are getting our blanks handed to us in 13 with those V8 long travel cars, so we might go to 5 were it is "more" even. I averaged out all the 13 & 5 cars for the last two years in MDR and MORE and 1300 is 5 mph faster on average than the 5 open class. Some food for thought.

We ran 5 Hella 4000's (non HID's) in the night race and didn't even need that many, I ran with 2 or 3 on the whole night and could see fine. But, if that is an excuse to get HID's then use it :-) I think the GPS was the best purchase for the night race, lights don't go through dust but the GPS sure as hell does.
ErikIrvine

Postby ErikIrvine » Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:52 am

Damn I just remembered, my girlfriend signed me up for a wedding the same night as the night race (not ours, thank god). So I guess your off the hook with us, that won't stop me from talking crap though :)
ErikIrvine

Postby racer951 » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:02 pm

Why 105-110 inch wheelbase? I thought the point was for it to be 5 legal, but if it's not going to be why wouldnt you just open it up to the 118 range?
racer951

Postby Ryan_P » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:08 pm

Well, 118 is a very long car, especially still being a beamed front end, IMO. After some thought this morning with Eric, I have decided to build the car to 105 and race 5 open and 1300, whichever has the most entries and what not, since I would rather race against 7 people instead of 2 or the only one in my class, like 5 open in MDR at times.

No 5 open, or let alone beamed front end, is running the 2'' hallow hub set-up, and Foddrill was very glad to take on the project, because the way they see it, exposure from my car might bring them LOTS of business, but who knows. Also, it was not a huge price differnence to get these spindles made, around $150-200 more than a regular King Kong spindle, which aren't cheap in any way.
Ryan_P

Postby ErikIrvine » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:12 pm

It's on
ErikIrvine

Postby Ryan_P » Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:22 pm

ErikIrvine wrote:It's on

Like donkey kong BIATCH! haha

***New updates in a couple of hours, got some more goodies fellas! :wink:
Ryan_P

Next

Return to Buggies and VWs